Kafez

Literary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dublin, Republic of, Ireland

Tuesday 16 December 2008

Silverfish Books: The Rolls Royce of Paperback Publishing in Malaysia

December 16th 2008

by Suzan Abrams

They quite took my breath away when I picked up these splendidly-produced books at the Kinokuniya Bookshop in Takashimaya, Singapore, a day ago.

Independent Malaysian publisher, Mr. Raman Krishnan of
Silverfish Books Kuala Lumpur published these interesting titles some months ago by a few very talented Malaysian writers.

Matthew Thomas is a lawyer in Kuala Lumpur and the other three short story writers are well, clever young things. You'll see that the beautiful covers really don't do any justice on his website.

In reality, they have been so painstakingly produced, that they may have been limited pieces heralding a sophisticated work of art or little paintings in my hand.


I was thrilled to pick them up on this side of the world finally - I had been dreaming of that exquisite porcelain cup and saucer back in Dublin - that they're already tucked away in my luggage. The inside flap is just as charming. It shows the frothy coffee before it was drunk.

I want to explain to you the personality of the covers, announce their credentials and talk about the stylish page layouts for both books.
I have to catch a flight tomorrow so I'll write more when I reach my new destination.

Labels: , ,