Kafez

Literary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dublin, Republic of, Ireland

Monday 22 October 2007


I'm reading The Days of Abandonement which is a piece of translated Italian literature, written by the publicity-shy contemporary novelist, Elena Ferrante. The writer was said to have stirred up the keen attention of complacent West European readers with the shocking mood she brazenly provided for her story.

The plot lies on the opposite side of what Kureishi's written. It tells the story of a mother and wife, whose husband leaves her after 2 decades of a safe marriage, so I thought it would be nice to inspect the other side of the coin, which may provide me with a broader feel for wounded relationships.

The first line begins with, "One April afternoon right after lunch, my husband announced that he wanted to leave me."
So far, the vocabulary is poignant, poetic and enriching although I don't care for the way the female character is shaped. The language is beautiful and serves as an excellent translation.

There is so much inspiring literature around isn't there but the reader claims only one lifeline