Kafez

Literary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dublin, Republic of, Ireland

Monday 12 January 2009

Notes

January 12, 2009

by Suzan Abrams

Since I have somewhere to go in these next few weeks and especially that I'll be on the move, I won't be able to provide the latest book news until the last week of February. When I offer publishing stories, I like to be on top of my game. The news I provide is never stale or more than a couple of days old.


Now this is going to be hard so I'm going to take a raincheck on writing about the publishing industry or book events for the next month.

Saying which, that short of closing this blog, I'd prefer to leave it for jottings and for my impressions of whatever takes my fancy in wherever I end up, probably the African continent. That is the best I can manage for now. I'm sure it will have the usual literary bent with the exception that my thoughts may be projected differently.

In the following month, I'd probably concentrate on rediscovering and recording my experiences as a traveller and writer.

Today, I bought myself a Samsung Notebook and bearing in mind that I already own 2 laptops, it was such a treat. The more I travel, the lighter I like my bags to be and it's an art form to master packing the essentials for 2 or 3 different climatic regions at a time. I've taken years to learn the science of it all. Each individual taste differs. I find even the idea of carrying a laptop troublesome so I purchased an an impressive-looking Notebook for just 444 euros, that was still part of the January sales here in Dublin. Mine has got wireless and bluetooth connectivity.

I want to take my creative writing seriously where in all honesty, I have been lounging in the last years. I have practised very hard on my language skills and am happy with my progress todate. So I'd like to start writing my stories while on the move. And if I do manage a safari in the outback, it'd be handy to lug my Notebook as well and to immediately record observations. I wouldn't dare do that with my laptop. It would have been too dangerous.