Kafez

Literary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dublin, Republic of, Ireland

Saturday 31 January 2009

Notes

by Suzan Abrams
I have moved to a slightly bigger executive suite in the hotel and now have a vast view of the harbour and Indian Ocean that tails my movements in the rooms, in a circular motion. The furniture are of mahagony and teak wood, the chairs are wicker and the carpets, long curtains and pictures on the wall hold flamboyant African decor and designs. There are also potted palms and scattered comfy sofas. I also have double of everything, baths, televisions, six telephones and before I start counting and appearing very much the hillbilly, you would know all the usual that comes in this case, with a small suite.
It is such a festive Sunday morning and near the waterfront, a group of professional dancers in colourful costumers, accompanied by lively beats are practising Congolese and Tanzanian dancers. The restaurant that serves a buffet breakfast, blared old African hits today like Elephant Walk which my father often played for me. Naturally, I mulled about a fair bit over my food and drink.
I feel so ease and confident as a woman traveller who can hold my hold. No more aware was I of this then today because of reasons I may write about later. In a way, I feel grown up that I have come into my own although truth would dictate that I already had, a long while ago.
Now, the thing is, that I don't know how to carry on with this blog. I experience different things everyday and sometimes different passions in my life dominate others. I don't live an ordinary life and so it is hard to be focussed and definitely not possible to slip into a routine for anything.

For instance, I could tell you about the Masai children who surrounded me yesterday and of how I find Masai toddlers to be some of the most congenial babies in the world. They are so affectionate that they will naturally endear themselves to any smile. They will come to you and hold you as if you were their mother. They would touch you, feel you and cling on like soft cuddly Koalas as if you were the dearest thing in their lives. That's how Masai children are. They don't want anything from you but just to be with you. When you do say goodbye, they are sad.

This is how life prisms up my multi-faceted endeavours. I am missing my beloved literature, want to spend more time on it and definitely want to complete my stories. I plan to rest on those wicker chairs, look out to the nearby sea and read since it is too dangerous for me to walk on the coast alone without a guide. The trouble is that East Africa smoulders with so much exoticism that many other things may claim your attention all at once.

I am well aware of the poverty that surrounds people. How can anyone not be moved by what one sees here. I myself, was once in dire straits for years so I know how it is to have nothing or very little. I am aware that today while I have a suite others don't have a bed. But I am constantly humbled, thankful and appreciative for everything. And I have done much to help needy African individuals although my personal charity for others, is a subject that my conscience will always forbid me from discussing openly.

Anyway, let's see what I feel like doing with this blog. I may take an interval until I get to Dublin or even longer. I may just write about books again and stop recollecting my African experiences here altogether. At the moment, I still don't know. Today, I'm going to Coco Beach...which is a very beautiful shore and so called as it is ever so famous for scattered and shapely coconut trees.

By the way, when I have left I will give you the name of the hotel where I stayed, the room numbers and the name I checked under. That's only fair. At least you would know it was all real.