Kafez

Literary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dublin, Republic of, Ireland

Wednesday 29 November 2006

Notes (3) - On writing my play

I find the notion comical where if written in the first person a story or poem appears decidedly lifelike and real and not at all the fiction that it secretly represents.
Yet it's amazing how when you use relative pronouns like he & she, the tale than turns into a promising fantasy, even if it were true.
A play offers no palpable excuse.
The characters emerge all at once, like figures from a painting or shadows stumbling down the wall.
One feels with no hesitation on scribbling dialogue, that that these suddenly odd and interesting humans, have stepped out of paper and straight into your study.
They peer over your shoulder with faintly penetrating eyes and you in turn, study your new acquaintances with a morbid curiousity.
In this way, the road is paved for me to claim passion and obsession with my script.
With the theatrical dialogue that slowly envelopes my mind for i.e. the tiny snippets that you see fashioned in
Theatrics & Theatrical or a Riddle? , I'm on my way.
Yes, I'm writing a dinner party play. My dialogue currently resembles a somewhat puzzling, if not hard adult tone.
I'm going to reinvent a character I once found and lost, called Julian - as I had earlier described him to be somewhat of a cold, cynical twit.
Already, I see him pacing up and down a room while gaily dressed and looking smug. One hand lies snuggled in a pocket and the other cradles a glass measuring just that right touch of whiskey.
But I adore him dreadfully.
I'd also like to create someone else really outlandish - totally theatrical and eccentric.
Finally, I've managed to fill my word meter with my first few short words.
It's hard work, of course. I attest to that but I also musn't miss the essential point of how exhilarating, writing a play currently feels to me.