Kafez

Literary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dublin, Republic of, Ireland

Tuesday 12 August 2008

Tribute to Cynical Steve

by Suzan Abrams

I have just heard the news that Cynical Steve, one of the Guardian Books Blog's regular commenters and an excellent doggerelist passed away in the early hours of this morning. I think you can still find his comments on Anthony McGowan' thread and his last being on John Sutherland's thread that talked about literary virgins yesterday in the afternoon.

I am in a state of shock and very sad about this. We were not friends but I'll remember him for the good things. I'll remember him with his great passion for horticulture. I'll think of him sometimes when I see the gardens and the flowers or the sharp glistening colours of the rainbow.

May his buds close gently in the summer and reawaken one morning-time. We were not friends but I wished you no harm. Goodbye Steve and I hope you've found a garden somewhere that fringes itself from lighted lamp posts. May your new road not be a dark one.


"How does one curtail the sound of running water,
or stop free thought in the ever after,
measure the raindrops that fall from the skies,
or teach an unfinished story to wave goodbye.

How does one put a heartbeat on standby,
or warn the swallows they cannot soar on by,
I will swing the brave carousel of my fun
As angel peace descends like waves in the sun."

- suzan abrams -

Labels: ,